Oshi no Ko Manga: Amazon Prime Launches Live-Action Film, TV Show Globally
On Wednesday, a joint statement from Toei and Amazon confirmed their collaboration on a live-action film and television series adaptation of the manga Oshi no Ko authored by Aka Akasaka and Mengo Yokoyari. It was stated that Toei would handle the film’s cinematic release with the television series to exclusively stream on Amazon Prime Video for a global audience in “winter 2024”. The official lineup of the cast in costume was also unveiled via a photo.
Starting from the top row (left to right), the main cast includes:
- Nagisa Saitō, a former member of the =LOVE idol group, in Ruby’s role.
- Former member of the Nogizaka46 idol group, Asuka Saitō, who starred in the live-action “Tomorrow, I Will Be Someone’s Girlfriend,” as Ai.
- Kaito Sakurai, who featured in live-action Blue Spring Ride and Vivant, portraying Aqua.
Moving down to the bottom row (left to right), the cast continues with:
- Nanoka Hara in the titular role of Suzume in the live-action Wave, Listen to Me! as Kana Arima.
- Mizuki Kayashima, known for her role in Saikō no Kyōshi: 1-nen-go, Watashi wa Seito ni ■ Sareta, takes on the role of Akane Kurokawa.
- The figure known as ano, celebrated for their themes in Dead Dead Demon’s Dededede Destruction, Tiger & Bunny 2, and Chainsaw Man, takes on the role of Memcho.
Aka Akasaka and Mengo Yokoyari‘s anime adaptation of the manga Oshi no Ko premiered in Japan on April 12 with a 90-minute opening episode. The anime was streamed by
HIDIVE in Japan and globally, including an English dubbed version. It’s worth noting that the anime was a massive hit for the streaming platform, becoming their “#1 series launch in the streamer’s history.” There’s more to come with a second season airing this year.
Daisuke Hiramaki and Chao Nekotomi directed the first season at Doga Kobo. Jin Tanaka handled the scripting and Kanna Hirayama designed the characters for the series.
Akasaka and Yokoyari initially introduced the manga in Shueisha’s Weekly Young Jump magazine in April 2020. It can also be digitally accessed in English via Shueisha’s MANGA Plus service. The manga has already exceeded 15 million copies in circulation to date.
Yen Press took a strong step towards expanding the manga’s reach, licensing it with the following description of the narrative:
Gorou, a gynecologist obsessed with idols, is left reeling after his favorite star, Ai, suddenly announces a break from her career. A twist of fate sees the two form an improbable relationship, taking on the world of fame and deception together! From the ingenious minds of Aka Akasaka (Kaguya-sama: Love is War) and Mengo Yokoyari (Scum’s Wish) comes a fascinatingly unpredictable manga.